If we could observe our home through the walls, we would see that it is an intricate network of pipes and pipes that culminate in drains, faucets and taps. Some are to provide the necessary water for consumption and personal hygiene and things, and others to eliminate wastewater. Due to the wear and tear that things suffer due to their use, pipes and faucets tend to break down, break or clog with the passage of time and it is time to call a plumber to carry out the corresponding repairs. However, there are minor breakdowns that we can repair ourselves by taking the proper precautions to avoid worsening a situation that in itself, is already embarrassing.
Tips to make the work easier.
- When you have to use a wrench to unscrew on a bobbin or a chrome piece, wrap insulating adhesive tape on the wrench so that the piece on which you are going to work does not scratch or mark with the tool. You can also cover the chrome piece with fabric before pressing the key.
- When closing a tap, do not exert so much pressure on it. With the passage of time it is damaged. When the tap starts to drip, it’s time to repair it (it’s quite simple and cheap). Closing it stronger will only aggravate the problem.
- Before repairing any type of tap (be it the shower, or that of the kitchen sink) put a plug in the drain to prevent screws and small pieces from falling through it.
- When repairing a bathtub, sink, or kitchen sink, cover the interior with a towel, cardboard or several layers of newspaper to avoid that, if a heavy tool falls out of your hand, it will damage delicate surfaces.
- Before disassembling any piece, carry a pen and paper and write down the order in which it is removed, so that when it is assembled again, it knows that it goes first and goes later.
- When several pieces are to be disassembled, in addition to the previous advice, you can also use an empty jar of jam or a similar container, to place all the small pieces there and prevent them from falling to the floor or being lost.
- Every time you disassemble a piece to make a repair, take advantage and clean all the other parts of it. This will prevent new breakages and save you work in the future.